Articulating the African Diaspora through Rhythm: Diatonic Rhythms, Nested Looping Structures, and the music of Steve Coleman
*Originally published in Intermedialities 16 (Fall 2010): pp. 167-184.
* Note: the version of this essay published in Intermedialities contains numerous errors in musical notation that resulted from an improperly installed font on the publisher’s end. This PDF presents the essay as it was intended to appear, although the pagination is different than that in Intermedialities 16.
No Boundary Line to Art: "Bebop" as Afro-Modernist Discourse
* Originally published in American Music, Vol. 29, No. 3, Fall 2011, pp. 332–352.
DJ Spooky and the Politics of Afro-Postmodernism
* Originally published in Black Music Research Journal, Vol. 30, No. 2, Fall 2010, pp. 337–361.
* Originally published in Contemporary Music Review, Vol. 29, No. 3, June 2010, pp. 323–335.
Music and Memory in Keepintime
* Originally published in MUSICultures, Vol. 38, 2011, pp. 159–172.
Improvising Sound Art
Originally published in BlackFlash, Issue 29.2, "Sound Issue," Winter 2012, pp. 45–49.
L'improvisation en "Structures en Boucles Nichées"
* Originally published (in French) in Textuel No. 60 "L'Improvisation: Ordres et Désordres Faits D'Art et Fait de Société." Winter 2010, pp. 111-120.
Real to Reel: Jazz, Film, and the Construction of Hip Hop Identities
* Originally published in Interdisciplinary Humanities 26.2 (Fall 2009), pp. 49-67.
Improvisation, Representation, and Abstraction in Music and Art: Michael Snow and Jesse Stewart in Conversation. Toronto. 12 November 2005.
* Note: other portions of this conversation are printed in the catalogue to Jesse Stewart's Waterworks Exhibition available here.
Music from Everywhere: the Sound Art of Gordon Monahan.
* Originally published in Gordon Monahan: Music From Everywhere. Exhibition catalogue. Guelph: Macdonald Stewart Art Centre. 2005.
Waterworks. Exhibition catalogue.
* Originally published as Jesse Stewart: Waterworks. Exhibition catalogue. Oshawa: Robert McLaughlin Gallery. 2006.
Notes towards a Canadian Remix. 2005.
* Originally published in Musicworks 91 (Spring 2005), pp. 30-39.
Freedom Music: Jazz and Human Rights.
* Originally published in Rebel Musics: Human Rights, Resistant Sounds, and the Politics of Music Making. Eds. Daniel Fischlin and Ajay Heble. Montreal: Black Rose Press. 2003.
Wheels of Time. Exhibition catalogue.
* Originally published as Jesse Stewart: Wheels of Time. Exhibition catalogue. Guelph: Macdonald Stewart Art Centre. 2003.
Passages on Passages: Some Reflections on the Creation of a Multi-media, Improvised, Jazz Opera.
* Originally published in Canadian Theatre Review 112 (Fall 2002): 5-12.
The Other Rock Music: Constructing the Multi-Intonational Lithophone.
* Originally published in Musicworks 76 (spring 2000): 33-36.